Author + information
- Received October 18, 1993
- Revision received December 17, 1993
- Accepted December 20, 1993
- Published online May 1, 1994.
- ↵∗Address for correspondence: Dr. Richard T. Lee, Noninvasive Cardiac Laboratory, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02115.
Many common problems in clinical cardiology are due to disturbances in vascular mechanics. The terminology and basic principles of vascular mechanics, including fundamentals of the relation of stress and strain, are described in this review. Approaches to measuring vessel wall stiffness and the mechanical basis for vascular catastrophes are introduced.
- Received October 18, 1993.
- Revision received December 17, 1993.
- Accepted December 20, 1993.