Author + information
- Received August 13, 2001
- Revision received January 3, 2002
- Accepted January 9, 2002
- Published online April 3, 2002.
- H.Vernon Anderson, MD, FACC*,* (, )
- Richard E Shaw, PhD, FACC*,
- Ralph G Brindis, MD, FACC*,
- Kathleen Hewitt, MS, RN*,
- Ronald J Krone, MD, FACC*,
- Peter C Block, MD, FACC*,
- Charles R McKay, MD, FACC*,
- William S Weintraub, MD, FACC*,
- ↵*Reprint requests and correspondence:
Dr. H. Vernon Anderson, Texas Heart Institute and the University of Texas, 6431 Fannin, Suite 1246, Houston, Texas 77030, USA.
Objectives The American College of Cardiology (ACC) established the National Cardiovascular Data Registry (ACC–NCDR) to provide a uniform and comprehensive database for analysis of cardiovascular procedures across the country. The initial focus has been the high-volume, high-profile procedures of diagnostic cardiac catheterization and percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).
Background Several large-scale multicenter efforts have evaluated diagnostic catheterization and PCI, but these have been limited by lack of standard definitions and relatively nonuniform data collection and reporting methods.
Methods Both clinical and procedural data, and adverse events occurring up to hospital discharge, were collected and reported according to uniform guidelines using a standard set of 143 data elements. Datasets were transmitted quarterly to a central facility for quality-control screening, storage and analysis. This report is based on PCI data collected from January 1, 1998, through September 30, 2000.
Results A total of 139 hospitals submitted data on 146,907 PCI procedures. Of these, 32% (46,615 procedures) were excluded because data did not pass quality-control screening. The remaining 100,292 procedures (68%) were included in the analysis set. Average age was 64 ± 12 years; 34% were women, 26% had diabetes mellitus, 29% had histories of prior myocardial infarction (MI), 32% had prior PCI and 19% had prior coronary bypass surgery. In 10% the indication for PCI was acute MI ≤6 h from onset, while in 52% it was class II to IV or unstable angina. Only 5% of procedures did not have a class I indication by ACC criteria, but this varied by hospital from a low of 0 to a high of 38%. A coronary stent was placed in 77% of procedures, but this varied by hospital from a low of 0 to a high of 97%. The frequencies of in-hospital Q-wave MI, coronary artery bypass graft surgery and death were 0.4%, 1.9% and 1.4%, respectively. Mortality varied by hospital from a low of 0 to a high of 4.2%.
Conclusions This report presents the first data collected and analyzed by the ACC–NCDR. It portrays a contemporary overview of coronary interventional practices and outcomes, using uniform data collection and reporting standards. These data reconfirm overall acceptable results that are consistent with other reported data, but also confirm large variations between individual institutions.
- Received August 13, 2001.
- Revision received January 3, 2002.
- Accepted January 9, 2002.
- American College of Cardiology Foundation