Author + information
In the article, “ACC/AHA 2005 Guideline Update for the Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Heart Failure in the Adult: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Update the 2001 Guidelines for the Evaluation and Management of Heart Failure),” by Hunt et al., which appeared in the September 20, 2005, issue of the journal (J Am Coll Cardiol 2005;46:e1–82), the following clarifications are needed:
1. In Figure 1,under therapy for Stage B, the following text should be added below the listings for Drugs: “DEVICES IN SELECTED PATIENTS: Implantable defibrillators.” See revised figure below.
2. In Table 3, the legend defining HF is incorrect. The words “and asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction” should be deleted. Also, the definition of Asymptomatic LVSD (asymptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction) should be added. Thus, the table legend should read, “Asymptomatic LVSD indicates asymptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction; CV Risk, reduction in future cardiovascular events; DN, diabetic nephropathy; H, hypertension; HF, heart failure; Post MI, reduction in heart failure or other cardiac events following myocardial infarction.”
3. On page e19, left column, final paragraph, the word “no” should be deleted before “HF” in the seventh line to read, “The aldosterone antagonist eplerenone has been shown to reduce morbidity and mortality in a population of patients with low EF and HF after MI that has already been treated with ACEIs and beta-blockers (98, 99).”
4. In Table 4, a dagger should be added after “Potassium-sparing diuretics.” In the legend, the following definition should be added: “†Eplerenone, although also a diuretic, is primarily used in chronic heart failure as a suppressor of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system.”
5. On page e21, the following Class I recommendation should be added after recommendation 6: “7. Maximal exercise testing with or without measurement of respiratory gas exchange is recommended to facilitate the prescription of an appropriate exercise program for patients presenting with HF. (Level of Evidence: C)”
6. On page e21, current recommendations 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 should be renumbered 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 to accommodate the new recommendation 7.
7. On page e21, in current recommendation 11, 6th line, “0.12 ms” should be changed to “120 ms.”
8. On page e21, in current recommendation 12, first line, the word “reasonable” should be replaced with the word “recommended.”
9. On page e22, Class IIa recommendation 3, the level of evidence should be changed from A to B.
10. On page e28, right column, the second sentence in the paragraph that begins after the heading “Recommendations Concerning ARBs” should be changed to cite the CHARM-Alternative trial, reference 223, instead of the CHARM-Preserved trial, reference 235.
11. On page e40, Section 126.96.36.199.7. Nesiritide, first paragraph, two references are cited that should be added to the reference list.
423a. Sackner-Bernstein JD, Kowalski M, Fox M, Aaronson K. Short-term risk of death after treatment with nesiritide for decompensated heart failure: a pooled analysis of randomized controlled trials. JAMA2005;293:1900–1905.
423b. Sackner-Bernstein JD, Skopicki HA, Aaronson KD. Risk of worsening renal function with nesiritide in patients with acutely decompensated heart failure. Circulation2005;111:1487–1491.
12. On page e40, Section 188.8.131.52.7. Nesiritide, second paragraph, first sentence, the word “chronic” should be added before “HF” to read, “They are currently under investigation as adjunctive therapy, administered on an intermittent outpatient basis, for advanced chronic HF.”
The corrected version of this article is available online at http://www.onlinejacc.org.
- American College of Cardiology Foundation