Author + information
Tracy CM, Epstein AE, Darbar D, et al., “2012 ACCF/AHA/HRS Focused Update of the 2008 Guidelines for Device-Based Therapy of Cardiac Rhythm Abnormalities: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines” (J Am Coll Cardiol 2012;60:1297–313; doi:10.1016/j.jacc. 2012.07.009)
1. The Heart Rhythm Society was a full partner on the guideline and should be added to the subtitle so that the title of the document reads, “2012 ACCF/AHA/HRS Focused Update of the 2008 Guidelines for Device-Based Therapy of Cardiac Rhythm Abnormalities: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society.”
2. In the first paragraph of Section 1.1 (p. 1300), “through January 2012” should be changed to “through February 2012.” The complete sentence should read, “Late-breaking clinical trials presented at the annual scientific meetings of the ACC, AHA, HRS, and European Society of Cardiology (2008 through 2010), as well as other selected data reported through February 2012, were reviewed by the guideline writing group along with the Task Force and other experts to identify trials and other key data that might affect guideline recommendations.”
3. In Section 2.4.1, Table 2 (p. 1303), Class IIa recommendation 4, “Comments” column, the extra parenthesis after “NYHA class” should be deleted. The complete sentence should read, “Modified recommendation (wording changed to indicate benefit based on ejection fraction and need for pacing rather than NYHA class; class changed from IIb to IIa).”
4. In Section 2.4.1, Section 2.4.1, paragraph 7 (p. 1303), the citation of reference 43 should be changed to cite a newly added reference, 43a, in the following 2 instances:
• the 3rd sentence, “5,356 patients (43)”
• the 10th sentence, “statistically significant (p = 0.0001) (43).”
The reference list should be updated to include reference 43a: Sipahi I, Chou JC, Hyden M, et al. Effect of QRS morphology on clinical event reduction with cardiac resynchronization therapy: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am Heart J. 2012;163:260–7. Citation of reference 43 remains the same in all other locations.
5. Appendix 3, Indications for CRT Therapy—Algorithm (p. 1313), requires clarification and improved consistency with the approved recommendations. The previous algorithm has been updated and replaced with a clearer algorithm.
Appendix 3. Indications for CRT Therapy—Algorithm
- American College of Cardiology Foundation