Author + information
Early detection of ST segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) by emergency medical services (EMS) can improve timeliness of definitive interventional care. Many EMS systems lack paramedics, operating solely with Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) - Basics. This study's purpose is to evaluate if EMT-Basics without 12-lead electrocardiogram (ECG) acquisition and telemetry transmission training can attain and maintain those skills using a 12-lead ECG device for basic life support EMS.
58 EMT-Basics without prior 12-lead ECG acquisition and telemetry transmission experience were enrolled. Education regarding 12-lead ECG acquisition and telemetry transmission utilizing the study device (ReadyLink™) was delivered in a classroom setting and consisted of a 25 minute training video. Study subjects were then allowed hands-on practice with the device. Using volunteer human subjects to simulate patient encounters, study subjects acquired and telemetry transmitted 12-lead ECGs to a server using a proprietary transmission system (LifeNet™). 12-lead ECG acquisition and telemetry transmission evaluations were conducted on the initial day of training, approximately 90 days post initial training, and approximately 180 days post initial training. Study subjects did not utilize 12-lead ECGs in actual patient encounters during the study period. All 12-lead ECGs in this study were reviewed by an emergency physician to determine if the quality of the 12-lead ECG was clinically useable for determining activation of emergency cardiology services.
During the 6 month study period, the EMT-Basics acquired and telemetry transmitted 132 12-lead ECGs. 130 (98.5%) of these 12-lead ECGs were determined by emergency physician overread to be clinically useable for determining activation of emergency cardiology services. Extreme motion artifact prevented clinically useable data in the remaining 2 (1.5%) 12-lead ECGs.
EMT-Basics, inexperienced in 12-lead ECG acquisition and telemetry transmission, are able to successfully achieve clinically usable 12-lead ECG acquisition and telemetry transmission using ReadyLink™.
Poster Sessions, Expo North
Sunday, March 10, 2013, 9:45 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
Session Title: Pre-Hospital ECG and Transfer: Time Is Myocardium
Abstract Category: 1. Acute Coronary Syndromes: Clinical
Presentation Number: 1212-173
- 2013 American College of Cardiology Foundation