Author + information
- Pierre Garçonnat, Vice-president of the Association (, )
- Blandine Subra, President of the Association (, )
- French Brugada Association
There is no disease so rare that it does not deserve attention.
The French Brugada Association (Association du Syndrome de Brugada) (1) was created in 2005 with the following goals: 1) to provide up-to-date information to patients with Brugada syndrome and their relatives; 2) to serve as a referral mechanism of patients to specialized medical centers; and 3) to serve as an educational authority for topics such as the risk of specific potentially harmful medications (2). The Association also promotes improving access to insurance for genetic carriers.
Last March we incidentally found out from a pharmacist that it will soon be difficult to find quinidine in France. We contacted Sanofi headquarters and were informed that a third party had discontinued the production of the active ingredient of Sérécor (hydroquinidine). At the present time, the situation in France is very concerning because the inventory of Sérécor will reach its expiration date soon. Moreover, hospitals and pharmacies are rationing supplies. As a result, patients who experienced arrhythmic storms in the past and are presently stable on quinidine therapy have repeatedly contacted our Association for help.
Negotiations are in process between our Association, the French Health Authorities, and the Sanofi group. Sanofi seems cooperative but admits the problem is serious. The option of juridical action to ensure supplies of a medication for which there is no appropriate therapeutic alternative does exist in France. Therefore, we call upon authors and clinicians to provide us with appropriate information about the beneficial effects of quinidine in their patients with Brugada syndrome.
- American College of Cardiology Foundation
- ↵BRUGADA—Association du Syndrome de Brugada. Orphanet: the portl for rare diseases and orphan drugs. Available at: http://www.orpha.net/consor/cgi-bin/OC_Exp.php?lng=EN&Expert=66659. Accessed May 2013.
- ↵Drugs to be avoided by Brugada syndrome patients. Available at: http://www.brugadadrugs.org. Accessed May 2013.