Author + information
Jensen MD, Ryan DH, Apovian CM, et al. 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS Guideline for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013 Nov 12 [E-pub ahead of print]; doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2013.11.004.
1. On the cover page, the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition was added to the list of endorsers. Currently the organization is not listed.
2. On the cover page, Robert A. Guyton, MD, FACC should be deleted from the ACC/AHA Task Force Members. Robert A. Guyton is currently listed with the ACC/AHA Task Force Members.
3. On the cover page, the footnote should read: “This document was approved by the American College of Cardiology Board of Trustees, the American Heart Association Science Advisory and Coordinating Committee, and the Obesity Society Board of Trustees in November 2013. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics affirms the value of this guideline.” The footnote currently reads: “This document was approved by the American College of Cardiology Board of Trustees, the American Heart Association Science Advisory and Coordinating Committee, and the Obesity Society Board of Trustees in November 2013.”
4. Table of Contents, “References” should be added after Section 4.5 and “Appendix 3. Abbreviations” after Appendix 2.
5. General Note: Throughout the document, the classifications for weight classes should read underweight <18.5 kg/m2, normal weight 18.5 to 24.9 kg/m2, overweight 25 to 29.9 kg/m2, obesity (class 1) 30 to 34.9 kg/m2, obesity (class 2) 35 to 39.9 kg/m2, and extreme obesity (class 3) ≥40 kg/m2. These ranges were updated in Figure 1 as well. The document currently references differing ranges for these weight classifications. Please see published document for the correct figure.
6. General Note: Call-outs to the Full Panel Report Supplement were hyperlinked to the report.
7. Section 1, last paragraph, the last sentence should read: “…and 2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk (8-10) for topics outside…” The sentence currently reads: “…and 2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Assessment of Risk Assessment (8-10) for topics outside…”
8. Section 1.3, third paragraph, Reference 1 should be inserted after the sentence, “The evidence-based process followed most of the standards from the Institute of Medicine's report, Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust (1).” The sentence does not currently include a reference.
9. Section 1.4, second paragraph, the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition was added to the list of endorsers. The organization is currently missing from the list of endorsers.
10. Table 4, Recommendation #1b, should read “…overweight (BMI 25.0-29.9 kg/m2).” It currently reads “…overweight (BMI >25.0-29.9 kg/m2).”
11. Table 4, abbreviation list, should read “IDF, International Diabetes Federation.” The list currently reads “IDF, International Diabetes Foundation.”
12. Figure 1, multiple changes: See published document for the correct figure.
a. the arrow connecting the green diamond in the top row to the white box below should read “No BMI 18.5-24.9.” The arrow currently reads “No BMI 18.5-<25.”
b. the first white box from the left on the second to last row of the algorithm should read “Intensive behavioral treatment (See Box 10); reassess and address medical or other contributory factors; consider adding or reevaluating obesity pharmacotherapy (See Box 12), and/or refer to an experience bariatric surgeon (See Box 13).” The box currently reads “Intensive behavioral treatment; reassess and address medical or other contributory factors; consider adding or re-evaluating obesity pharmacotherapy, and/or refer to an experienced bariatric surgeon (See Box 16).”
13. Box 10 Weight Loss Options – Comprehensive Lifestyle Intervention Alone or With Adjunctive Therapies, the footnote for the title changed. The footnote should be “‡BMI cutpoint determined by the FDA and listed on the package inserts of FDA-approved obesity medications.” It currently reads “*Nutrition professional: In the studies that form the evidence base for this recommendation, a registered dietitian usually delivered the dietary guidance; in most cases, the intervention was delivered in university nutrition departments or in hospital medical care settings where access to nutrition professionals was available.”
14. Section 3.5, 5c. Complications, short term should be defined as “<30 days.” Currently it is defined as “>30 days.”
15. Section 3.5.1, ES2, 5th bullet, the last part of the sentence should read “and changes in total cholesterol or LDL levels.” The sentence currently reads “and changes in triglyceride or LDL levels.”
16. After the references, the Key Words were added: ACC/AHA Practice Guidelines ■ bariatric surgery ■ behavior therapy ■ blood pressure ■ body mass index ■ diabetes mellitus ■ diet ■ dyslipidemia ■ lifestyle ■ waist circumference ■ weight loss. Some of the key words are currently missing.
17. Appendix 2. Expert Reviewers Relationships With Industry and Other Entities, add the following table note: “This table represents the relationships of reviewers with industry and other entities that were self-disclosed at the time of peer review. It does not necessarily reflect relationships with industry at the time of publication. To review the NHLBI and ACC/AHA's current comprehensive policies for managing relationships with industry and other entities, please refer to http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cvd_adult/coi-rwi_policy.htm and http://www.cardiosource.org/Science-And-Quality/Practice-Guidelines-and-Quality-Standards/Relationships-With-Industry-Policy.aspx.” Currently not included in the document. See published document for the correct table.
- The Expert Panel Members