Author + information
- Zhou Yu and
- Xiahui Zhao
Re-crossing the compromised side branch (SB) with a balloon is sometimes technically challenging. Our aim was to evaluate whether in-stent anchoring (ISA) is safe and effective to facilitate SB balloon delivery for final kissing.
We included 159 consecutive patients (a total of 166 bifurcation lesions) in this prospective, single-centre registry. ISA was used as a bailout method after unsuccessful SB crossing using conventional techniques, including low-profile balloons. Technique success was defined as SB balloon delivery and final kissing. Kissing balloon (KB) delivery was successfully performed with conventional strategies in 149 of 166 lesions (89.8%). In the remaining 17 lesions (10.2%), re-crossing of the main vessel stent strut was not successful; therefore, ISA was attempted. The balloon successfully crossed the stent struts and final kissing was achieved in 15 of 17 lesions (88.2%). Total final kissing was achieved in 164 of 166 lesions (98.8%), with success rates of 100% in the single-stent group and 97.6% in the two-stent group.
Two cases without balloon delivery involved complex bifurcation lesions with severe calcification. There was no vessel dissection in the anchoring zone.
ISA is a safe and effective balloon delivery strategy when conventional low-profile balloons fail.