Author + information
- Published online February 19, 2020.
- Robert O. Bonow, MD, MS, MACC Chair, Writing Committee,
- Patrick T. O’Gara, MD, MACCVice-chair, Writing Committee,
- David H. Adams, MD, FACC, Writing Committee,
- Vinay Badhwar, MD, FACC, Writing Committee,
- Joseph E. Bavaria, MD, FACC, Writing Committee,
- Sammy Elmariah, MD, MPH, FACC, Writing Committee,
- Judy W. Hung, MD, FACC, Writing Committee,
- JoAnn Lindenfeld, MD, FACC, Writing Committee,
- Alanna A. Morris, MD, MSc, FACC, Writing Committee,
- Ruby Satpathy, MD, FACC, Writing Committee,
- Brian Whisenant, MD, FACC, Writing Committee and
- Y. Joseph Woo, MD, FACC, Writing Committee
Mitral regurgitation (MR) is a complex valve lesion that can pose significant management challenges. This Expert Consensus Decision Pathway emphasizes that recognition of MR should prompt an assessment of its etiology, mechanism, and severity, as well as consideration of the indications for treatment. The document is a focused update of the 2017 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on the Management of Mitral Regurgitation, with some sections updated and others added in light of the publication of new trial data related to secondary MR, among other developments. A structured approach to evaluation based on clinical findings, accurate echocardiographic imaging, and, when necessary, adjunctive testing, can help clarify decision making. Treatment goals include timely intervention by an experienced multidisciplinary heart team to prevent left ventricular dysfunction, heart failure, reduced quality of life, and premature death.
SOLUTION SET OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE
Ty J. Gluckman, MD, FACC, Chair, Niti R. Aggarwal, MD, FACC, Nicole Martin Bhave, MD, FACC, Gregory J. Dehmer, MD, MACC, Olivia N. Gilbert, MD, MSc, FACC, Dharam J. Kumbhani, MD, SM, FACC, Andrea L. Price, CPHQ, RCIS, AACC, David E. Winchester, MD, FACC, Martha Gulati, MD, MD, FACC – Ex Officio
The American College of Cardiology requests that this document be cited as follows: Bonow RO, O’Gara PT, Adams DH, Badhwar V, Bavaria JE, Elmariah S, Hung JW, Lindenfeld J, Morris AA, Satpathy R, Whisenant B, Woo YJ. 2020 Focused update of the 2017 ACC expert consensus decision pathway on the management of mitral regurgitation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2020; XX:XXX-XX.
Copies: This document is available on the web site of the American College of Cardiology (www.acc.org). For copies of this document, please contact Elsevier Inc. Reprint Department, fax (212) 633-3820, e-mail .
Permissions: Multiple copies, modification, alteration, enhancement, and/or distribution of this document are not permitted without the express permission of the American College of Cardiology. Please contact Elsevier’s permission department email@example.com
© 2020 by the American College of Cardiology Foundation
- 2020 American College of Cardiology Foundation