Task Force 7: Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship Training in Pulmonary Hypertension, Advanced Heart Failure, and Transplantation
Steven A. Webber, Daphne T. Hsu, D. Dunbar Ivy, Thomas J. Kulik, Elfriede Pahl, David N. Rosenthal, W. Robert Morrow and Jeffrey A. Feinstein
Core Curricular Competencies and Evaluation Tools for Advanced Pediatric Heart Failure
▪ Know the signs and symptoms of heart failure in children.
▪ Know the role of extracorporeal membrane oxygenator support, ventricular assist device support, and transplantation in the treatment of end-stage heart failure.
▪ Know the indications, mechanism of actions, risks, and benefits associated with the FDA-approved medications for use in adults with heart failure and medications commonly used in pediatric patients with heart failure.
Evaluation Tools: direct observation, conference participation and presentation, procedure logs, and in-training examination
Patient Care and Procedural Skills
▪ Have the skills to evaluate and provide initial treatment for pediatric patients with heart failure of various etiologies.
▪ Have the skills to develop a differential diagnosis in a child with heart failure.
▪ Have the skills to establish an accurate diagnosis for the child with heart failure utilizing noninvasive imaging, genetic evaluation, endomyocardial biopsy, and cardiac catheterization.
▪ Have the skills to evaluate the clinical condition of the heart failure patient and interpret the results of arrhythmia testing, exercise testing, biomarker levels, noninvasive imaging, and cardiac catheterization to plan the appropriate treatment.
▪ Have the skills to initiate medical therapies to treat heart failure, including anticongestive medications, antiarrhythmic medications, inotropic support, and neurohormonal blockade (e.g., angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, beta-blockers).
▪ Have the skills to plan appropriate consultation with a dedicated specialist in pediatric advanced heart failure therapies.
Evaluation Tools: direct observation, conference participation, and procedure logs